Sunday, March 15, 2015

History of Duke University

Trinity College a Methodist-related school was established in Randolph Country, North Carolina. Washington Duke (1820-1905) who established the family in the tobacco business became a benefactor of Trinity College in 1890.

His initial gift o $85,000 was critical in inducing the small, Methodist affiliated college to relocate from a rural setting to Durham in 1892. Washington Duke would later donate another $100,000 toward the schools endowment.

Washington Duke son, James Buchanan Duke helped build a new university near the school, providing $21 million from the Duke Endowment for construction.

During the first quarter of the twentieth century, Trinity began a law school, made further improvements to its curriculum, added athletic programs, accommodated more graduated students and increased its library holdings.

William Preston Few served as president of Trinity College 1910-1924, and subsequently as president of the new Duke University from 1925 to 1940.

In December 1924 James B Duke endowed over $40 million to the institution. Duke’s original campus was rebuilt with Georgian-style buildings at a cost of $4.8 million, with construction beginning in 1925 and ending 1927.

In 2004, Duke University’s research expenditures topped $490 million, and funding since then has increased 14.5 percent.
History of Duke University 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular articles

Other articles around the world

  • Sodium ions are the major cations of extracellular fluid. The requirement for sodium is not well defined, but human dietaries generally contain more sodium...
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a condition which can have major effects on the life of both the sufferer and their family members. Previous researc...
  • Electronic business (e-business) can be defined as the use of the internet to network and empower business processes, electronic commerce, organizational c...