Saturday, February 18, 2017

Princeton University

Originally founded at Elizabeth, New Jersey, in 1746 as the College of New Jersey, the first classes were conducted in May 1747 in the manse of first President Rev. Jonathan Dickinson in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

The college relocated to Princeton in 1756 and was renamed Princeton University in 1896. Princeton was ideally located as the midway stop on the stagecoach line between New York and Philadelphia.

Approximately 1268 men are known to have matriculated at the College of New Jersey, which often was called Princeton College long before its name was officially changed to Princeton University. Of this total, 919 received the bachelor’s degree, while some 348 attended without graduating.

Princeton was the fourth institution of higher education in the United States to conduct classes, after Harvard (1636), William and Mary (1693) and Yale (1701).

Princeton was among the biggest colleges of the late nineteenth century - one of just eight with an enrollment of a thousand – and the sheer number of old building is gratifying. Woodrow Wilson, president of the university from 1902 to 1910, transformed Princeton into a genuine research university.

In the process, he adjusted its program of religious instruction to newfound vision of Princeton as a national education institution.
Princeton University
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular articles